Monday, March 23, 2009

Foreign Clouds



I'm finally getting over my cold, so yesterday I went on a bike ride to a nearby lake to take some photographs. The sun had been shining all day, but just as I began to settle in, ready to take some pictures (and I knew this would happen, which is why I broke the sound barrier getting there) it disappeared behind scattered clouds, hiding from me for the rest of the day. Still beautiful though, and not too cold. It hovered right around 35ºF for most of the afternoon.

To be alone under foreign clouds, with a frozen, snowpacked lake in front of me and a robe of birch trees at my back was solemn and peaceful, and is quickly becoming a favorite past time of mine. Just sitting. Just being.

This time of year is beautiful, the sun shines more and more, yet the snow is still here. I sure do miss the Arkansas springtime though.

Below are some photographs of our EvoGen research group here at the University: Maaria, Me, Anneli, Hannele, Laura, Tiina, and Venera. (And if there are any males out there looking for a graduate position in Evolutionary Genetics, let me recommend the University of Jyväskylä!)

Actually, we are a good group and they are all very kind, hard working and great company. I feel absolutely privileged.

Tell Arkansas "hi" for me.


Cheers,
Jackson



No comments:

Post a Comment