Monday, January 12, 2009

Ice Skates








I took Lillian ice skating after the city had cleared a huge path in the snow on the lake. I loaded her on the sled, new ice skates on feet, and I pulled her across the lake to the clear ice. The evening was gorgeous-a waxing moon, almost full, white snow and black ice.
Lillian did a great job, fell many times, but continued to get right back up on her feet and press on. After a while she discovered that it was much easier to skate in the snow. It was still slick yet gave her a little more grip than the cleared ice. While we were out there, a little boy, no older than 3, got on the ice with his dad. He was pretty good. Kids around here skate so young. I guess Edith will be learning before we know it!

I also documented the girls' shower time here in the flat. I have yet to see a bathtub in Finland-only showers with detachable heads. Lily and Edie are very much missing their bath experience-for those of you who know how much they love a good bath! I am missing it as well. It was always a nice time for me to relax. Now, shower time gets old too quickly and the mess on the floor after wards is really fun to clean up daily. Let's just say we trek water throughout the house. At least the few kitchen utensils that are now being used for bath toys are prolonging their fun in the shower. As soon as we visit home, I know these girls will be in the tub for hours!

The pictures of the girls on the swings and slide were taken right outside our building. There are playgrounds everywhere. On this particular day a fresh layer of snow was just laid the night before so we were making clear paths of new footsteps. Lily's favorite part was eating the snow.

Bye for now,
Janee

No comments:

Post a Comment