Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reindeer With Red Onions


This afternoon, we had a lovely, traditional Finnish lunch at the Hoikkala residence. The snow fell heavy outside the windows and the menu went something like this:

Reindeer with red onions
Grilled salmon
Fresh cucumber, pineapple, spinach, tomato, and red bell peppers
Wild berry sauce
White mashed potatoes

This was followed by a dessert of raspberry cream "stuff" and coffee and cookies to finish it off - by far the best meal we've had since Christmas in Arkansas. I never thought I would say "could you pass the reindeer please?" Lillian decided quickly that eating Rudolph would not be appropriate. I must say it was delicious!

We learned some Finnish, talked maps and education, and fed their 70 year-old Russian tortoise "Arkiisk" ("Archie") lettuce and bell peppers by hand. The Hoikkalas are convinced that Archie has KGB ties, as he spent 15 or so years in Estonia under a different name.

Things have changed, but basically they stay the same....

:) jackson

3 comments:

  1. So the fare is good! I hope you guys are adjusting and enjoying..This sounds so interesting and adventurous: reindeer, saunas, 70 yr old Russian tortoises geez!
    We love you guys, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you are settling in. It's an adjustment, I'm sure. Outside of South Korea, I've always had the benefit of a common language in the countries I've lived in. Let me know if you ever have the time to visit London to show the girls some of the great Royal sights! I'd be happy to play tour guide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, reindeer. That had to be something like elk - slightly dark, lean meat, like young cow, maybe? It's really hard to describe a *meat,* isn't it? I'm having a harder time with the salad. Pineapple? With spinach? Did they all go in together?

    ReplyDelete