Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Taste of Nostaglia






Frugality has been a way of life for us for what seems like forever. There is good and bad in the practice as the impulses to run and buy a half case of delicious beer are, unfortunately, kept to a minimum. At least this way of life has allowed us not to clutter our surroundings with all too many unnecessary things.

When we arrived in Finland, we found out that Jackson will not get paid until the end of the month - ouch! So we had to make our travel allowance not only stretch through our initial journey here, but carry us until the last week in January - food and all. This was such a funny thing for us to digest. Here we are, moving half way around the globe in efforts to not only secure our future financially by continuing Jackson's education, but to live a reasonably more lavish daily life (oh, and the living abroad experience is not too bad either). Not three days into our trip we find that we are yet still floating in the same boat that we thought we had abandoned. Isn't this how it works. Lesson learned. But darn it, we WILL be enjoying the luxuries of eating out and vacationing once Jackson begins getting a regular pay check. We are ready!

So our trips to the grocery store are with one thing in mind - economics. What can we buy that will satiate us and not break our wallet? I am happy to say that our creativity in making meals has been above par. The food we have enjoyed has been absolutely delicious! I am certain a part of that has to do with how much exercise we are getting daily. I told a friend of mine the other day, feeding the family lately is like feeding a pack of hungry wolves! Seems every time I turn around, Lillian is saying, "Momma, I'm hungry." You always love hearing those words from your child. When they eat and eat well, it gives a mom such a deep feeling of satisfaction. But I tell you, I am growing tired of my seemingly constant presence in the kitchen.

This entry is dedicated to my mom. I have realized that the meals we have been eating for the past few weeks are meals that I enjoyed as a small lady when my parents were living under conditions that forced them to fix food that was inexpensive yet healthy and appealing to Jess and I. Mom, our breakfast rice with milk, butter, and sugar has been yummy! We don't have cinnamon so I can't make us the cinnamon toast that you used to make but we are still enjoying the rice with toast, buttered and jellied. The egg sandwiches on toasted bread with ketchup is a favorite of ours, especially for Lily and I. Cornflakes with bananas and honey takes me right back to our kitchen table, sitting with you in the morning. Grilled cheese and canned pears for lunch. Homemade macaroni and cheese. Boiled eggs. Butter and honey sandwiches. I have decided that all we need now to make this a complete childhood experience for me is Coco-Wheats! I would just melt.

We are all healthy and happy. Today is colder than it has been the past four or five days. It has been warmer here than it has been in Arkansas, believe it or not! The snow has all melted away and the city is looking gray. This place looks a lot prettier with white covering its surface. I ran into a friend of ours, Mikko, yesterday. He said that he hates this warm weather and is ready for the snow to come back. I think all the Finns are wishing the same thing - the colder and whiter, the better.

I took the girls to the public library yesterday. Lillian and I both got our very own library cards. Lily got to sign hers on the back which was a highlight of my day. I am sure that thing will be in my wallet until I am an octogenarian. So great. We spent about an hour in the children's section, managed to find the small selection of books and music in English, looked at all the wonderful art and photographs they have from around the world, and then checked out about 15 books. I let Lillian go a bit crazy. After all, overindulgence at the library has never been discouraged! Last night Jackson read her, "The Book about Moomin, Mymble, and Little My," by Tove Jansson, the late, well known Finnish author and artist.

Today our place gets cleaned and momma is happy. I have never had a cleaning service; this is a first for me (a complimentary service from the university). Clean toilet, clean shower, clean floors(!), clean bedsheets, with no effort on my part. I think I can get used to this.

I am taking the girls to a coffee shop up the road while the ladies are here. We will be warm, enjoy a pastry, and come home to a clean house. Ahhh.

Sending love to all of you.
We miss you so.
Janee


1 comment:

  1. oh, little eddie. i miss her so. you guys have such amazing spirits and have the best attitude possible as you progress through these initial struggles. few more days, huh, until you eat and drink the best of the best. i love your meal stories. love love love
    lindsey

    ReplyDelete